Saturday, December 09, 2006

My Two Favorite Oil Paintings! 1962/1942


This painting by Margaret Keane is titled "Escape" and is one of her best. Maybe not because of the composition--(which is a little sloppy) but for the depth lof expression on the woman's face. The other painting is by George Rozen ; who would be the "Mickey Mantle" of pulp cover artists back in the days of olde. They are both done in oil paint--which I do not use mainly because it takes so long to dry . Someone once said that painting with oils is like painting with butter, which is very true. The frustration is great--but the pay-off is awesome. Human fleshtones, glass, smoke, fire, water and metal always look better and more tangible when using oil paint. Somehow I wish these two paintings would merge together......

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel like I've seen Margaret Keanes' work before -like from magazine articles in the sixties. Very cool. I'm going to look her up!

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home